You’ve all probably had that painful feeling in the shoulders. It feels really uncomfortable and we can’t turn from side to side. We also feel it while we sleep. That pain is called tendinitis. In this article, we’re going to present you some of the main causes as well as some of the best treatments.
Small ruptures in the ligament cause the inflammation located in the shoulder and it’s called tendinitis.
What are the main causes?
- An Injury: A fall with a very sharp stretch or an accident can cause chronic shoulder tendinitis. It mostly appears young adults.
- Vascular factor: The muscles surrounding the area of the shoulder are left with a smaller amount of blood supply because of poor circulation.
- Age: Age is the main factor which causes problems with the joints. Our ligaments lose elasticity and become degenerated. Tendinitis mostly appears after 40.
- Muscle overload: Even some of the normal movements can cause a trauma of the tendon structure, like for example, a certain exercise done frequently. It’s one of the most common causes for tendinitis recently.
This health problem also appears on the wrists, elbows and heels.
These are some of the symptoms of shoulder tendinitis:
- When you do a particular activity, you have an acute pain.
- You can’t find the proper position for sleeping and you feel pain at night.
- Pain when you raise your arms.
When is it time to act?
Joint pain is really uncomfortable and annoying. It makes us sit all the time since we can’t move a lot.
- You mostly need to attack the inflammation because it will help you reduce the pain.
- Try to immobilize the area where you feel the pain.
- Use hot-cold compresses. Change them on 20 minutes. Repeat this procedure for 5 times the most.
- Take some ice that you’ll wrap in a piece of cloth. After that, put on some warm clothes.
- According to doctors, the best thing is physiotherapy with exercises that will increase their intensity gradually. You’ll get rid of the pain, but also strengthen your ligaments.
How to avoid tendinitis?
You need to know that tendinitis can appear again, even if you’ve had it and you have recovered from it. If you don’t pay attention to it, you risk to rupture your ligament and also have more serious injuries.
Here are some things you can do to decrease the hazards:
- If you practice sports with high impact, you need to do some warm-up exercises before that.
- If your job includes using repetitive movements, make sure you alternate your arms and rest for several minutes in between.
- Strengthen your muscles and shoulder with some strengthening exercises.
- Drinking plenty of water is obligatory.
- Massage yourself or go to massage salons because they will help you relieve the condition.