Beets are one of the most underrated veggies. Not many people like the taste even while fully knowing how healthy beets are. A nutrient-rich vegetable with strong color, beets work great in salads, soups, and if you’re brave, desserts. There are many delicious recipes with beets which not only taste great, but they also improve our health.
Raw or cooked, beets represent one of the most powerful veggies for our health. Full of essential nutrients and compounds, they are really valuable and can prevent and treat a host of conditions and diseases. The root works great against anemia due to the high iron content and is also rich in folate, potassium, and vitamin C among other compounds.
How Do Beets Improve Our Health?
Beets have an almost endless list of health benefits.
Here are some of them:
- Full of polyphenols and betalain, beets can prevent oxidative damage to our cells as well as inflammation and cardiovascular diseases;
- Beets are full of cobalt, a rare compound which helps our body form new red blood cells along with folic acid;
- The vegetable is rich in vitamins from the B group which can reinforce your capillary walls and prevent age-related cognitive decline;
- Thanks to the presence of various minerals including magnesium and potassium, beets are great for our heart health;
- Beets are a powerful detoxifier thanks to the presence of betalin and other compounds;
- Full of folic acid, beets can help the body create new cells and revitalize all tissues;
- Beets are full of fiber which can improve our digestion and gut flora;
- The red veggie is full of betacyanins and other antioxidants which can prevent the development and growth of cancer cells;
- Beets have more pectin than apples or carrots. This vital fiber can boost your digestion better than anything else and can also absorb heavy metals from your blood, detoxifying your system;
- Thanks to the rich concentration of nitrites, beets can prevent dementia. They also boost our blood flow to the brain and helps it stay sharp.
These are just a fraction of the benefits of beets. The red veggie can also lower your blood pressure and cholesterol and keep your cardiovascular system and overall health in check. With so many benefits, it’s clear that beets should become a regular food in your diet instantly.