Emotional eating appears when you’re angry at your partner or sometimes when you’re under great stress. It can also appear if you’re bored. You decided to go to the fridge and eat anything. You actually start using food to suppress your feelings, but that in turn leads to unhealthy eating patterns and weight gain.
According to Susan B. Roberts, a PhD Professor, it affects our brain to learn and adopt new strategies. You start having a new habit which is dysfunctional.
You need to have some trigger points that cause this. You’ll probably do it by accident in the beginning. It can be caused by stress, anger, anxiety, depression, loneliness, procrastination, boredom or fear. Sometimes even some positive emotions like desire or excitement can be the triggers.
You need to be reserved in your judgement since if you’re too critical, it may cause more emotional eating. You shouldn’t be too harsh on yourself. Try to find something that will be good for you.
Here, we’re going to present you some strategies that will help you acquire healthier habits and eat healthier foods:
- Substitute: Make sure you have something at hand in case you can’t control yourself. Keep apple slices or baby carrots in plastic bags in your fridge, but make sure they’re up front where you can take them quickly. Always have a bowl of fresh fruit in the kitchen or the dining room.
- Chew Gum: The sugarless versions of chewing gum are amazing in this case. They help you with the chewing because that’s an extremely important part of the complete experience.
- Relax: Try to relax in a hot bath or listen to some relaxing music. Do this until you’re sure that your cravings are gone.
- Be Mindful: You can use mindfulness training based on meditation-based that will help you enjoy your food and stop when you feel full enough. You can also take a class if you have a nearby meditation center.
- Exercise: You can do tai chi, yoga, jog or go out for a walk. Do any kind of exercise.
- Shift Attention: Try to play a game on the computer. Read the news. Visit a social media site, do a hobby, knit or do some of your chores like tidying, organizing, cleaning etc. It will help you keep your mind off any craving.