Celery is one of the most popular and most nutritious vegetables we can eat. It has a hefty amount of calcium, potassium, magnesium and vitamins A, B, C and K as well as phytonutrients which are responsible for most of its benefits. Celery has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and diuretic properties and can also improve intracellular communication, prevent damage to our DNA and give our immune system a boost. According to recent studies, celery and its phytonutrients may also prevent cancer.
Here are some health benefits of the mighty celery:
- Regulates your pH levels
- Celery consists of 96% of water, so eating it can easily hydrate your body
- Celery can regulate our cholesterol and blood pressure, effectively preventing a variety of cardiovascular problems
- Due to its diuretic effects, celery can easily prevent urinary tract infections
- Celery has almost no calories and is full of fiber which promotes weight loss
- In the past, the vegetable was used as a natural remedy for male infertility as it can boost your sperm production and raise the levels of the aldosterone hormone
- Thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties, celery can relieve inflammation in your body and prevent numerous ailments related to it
- The high fiber content can improve your digestion and treat and prevent constipation and indigestion
- Due to the alkaline properties, celery can easily soothe problems such as acid reflux and heartburn
- Celery can relax your nervous system and keep your mind at ease, effectively treating insomnia
- Due to the high vitamin A content, celery can protect your eyes and cornea and prevent conditions such as dry eyes
- Eating celery often will significantly reduce the risk of ulcers
- Due to the presence of pheromones such as androstanol and androsterone, celery was used as a natural aphrodisiac in the past
Furthermore, celery also acts as nature’s dental floss, so you might want to chew it before swallowing.
The fibrous strands in celery can clean our teeth naturally and boost the production of saliva which will remineralize your teeth and prevent bad breath.
Celery is a perfect natural snack which tastes great and promotes weight loss. You can nib on it raw, add it to soups or stews or dip it in toppings and dips as well. You can also stir-fry celery, add it to salads, dip it into hummus or butter for a nice, nutritious and tasty snack.