Good nutrition has a great effect on the state of well-being of people in general. It is especially important if a patient suffers from cancer simply because the condition and the treatment affect greatly onto their appetite. Even though not all of the cancer patients have side-effects related to nutritive ingredients, it is very possible that at some point of the treatment all of the patients go through hardship which can be at least facilitated up to some extent due to the right choice of food. In most of the cases, cancer as well as cancer treatments have tremendous effect onto lowering the body’s capacity to tolerate different foods. In this condition, many nutritionists recommend low-fiber food especially to decrease or ease the symptoms such as diarrhea, problems with digestive system, or even slow down the spread of the cancer cells.
Regarding the many lists of these types of food we present you a list of some of the most beneficial foods, followed by a salad recipe which contains a mixture of health promoting vegetables, fruits and nuts. Not only that it is rich in low-fiber food nutritive ingredients, but also its contents are high in healthy fats, vitamins, minerals, proteins and antioxidants. The continuous intake of these ingredients will result in increased and boosted immune system, higher level of energy and lowering the extent of hair loss and skin damage.
What is beneficial about these ingredients?
This vegetable is abundant in vitamin C, which helps to synthesize the collagen needed for the health of the hair and skin. Being a green leafy vegetable, low in calories, it is high in essential nutrients that support the healthy function of the body.
- The high concentration of magnesium helps in boosting the immune system as well as metabolism.
- It is strongly beneficial in cases of anemia and asthma
- Great source of iron and magnesium
- The high concentration of fiber improves the digestive processes
- Potassium as one of the contents helps regulating blood sugar levels
- The vitamin K which helps in strengthening the bones.
- In addition, it reduces the cancer due to the fact that the chlorophyll impedes the carcinogenic effects from chemicals released during the process of cooking on high temperature.
Avocado is a nutrient-rich food that provides your body with potassium, Vitamin C, and antioxidants. It is much higher in fat than most other fruits.
- In addition the avocado abounds in vitamin K which helps strengthening the bones and joints.
- Due to the fact it is high in folate, it helps keeping brain healthy.
- Beta carotene is highly presented in the avocado – this is a strong antioxidant also found in carrots. It helps in improving your eyesight
- Avocado also helps in regulating the cholesterol levels in your blood
- It enhances the work of your digestive system through promoting bowel movement. Moreover, it can regulate appetite and keep the good bacteria in the gut healthy.
- It is a rich source of monounsaturated fatty acids. The most prevailing is the essential component of olive oil, i.e. the oleic acid. It is beneficial in reducing inflammation and therefore it has great effects in cancer treatments. Avocado oil is also a great source of healthy fats, thus many research show it is valuable in the fight against inflammation, heart disease and diabetes
Pomegranates have strong anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor properties. When it comes to cancer, there are many recent studies that point the cancer-fighting features of this food. They have shown strong hindering effect on tumor cells. It is also proven that they reduce the prostate specific antigen levels with dramatic decrease with patients that consumed pomegranate. Also, at the same time they represent a rich source of folic acid and vitamins E, C and A. The key feature however is that they are one of the most powerful anti-oxidant foods. Here are some more health benefits of them:
- Regarding oral health and plaque, they help because of its anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties.
- They help in boosting the blood circulation
- Valuable for patients with stomach disorders
- Relieving sore throat
- Lowering the inflammatory processes
- Skin anti-aging effect
If you need to lose weight then you should definitely consider introducing pecan into your diet. However, the fatty acids in which the pecan abounds, helps keeping the balanced weight. Moreover, they are a rich anti-oxidant as well, so they easily help in combating the free radicals which eventually aside from preventing different diseases or infections, at a great extent help in patients fighting cancer. Some of the other benefits from consuming pecan are listed as follows:
- The high content of monounsaturated oil (almost 70 per cent) gives it a great flavor while being healthy at the same time
- Pecans are rich in phosphorus, being the second mineral in the body. It helps with the repairing of cells and their formation.
- The magnesium is known for the anti-inflammatory features. Pecan containing it helps in the reducing risk of many diseases which stem from inflammation, such as cardiovascular diseases for instance.
- Pecans are also a very rich source of manganese, yet another forceful antioxidant. It is proven that it assists the body to keep high level of immunity. At the same time it prevents damages to the nerve cells. Therefore, the consummation of manganese is essential for proper function of the brain and nerve system.
- They are abundant in fiber, which is very important for the processes of toxins elimination which is not only beneficial from the inside, it is also visible on the skin – it is glowing and with higher elasticity.
- Lastly, the high concentration of iron can help in decreasing the risk from strokes. Furthermore, the sufficient intake of iron can help keeping away from anemia.
- As a source of L-arginine, pecans help with hair loss prevention. Actually, L-arginine being an amino acid is used to combat baldness by stimulating the blood flow which results in hair growth. Despite the hair-loss prevention, this component also helps strengthening the walls artery walls which again results in smooth blood circulation.
A Recipe for anti-oxidant bomb salad (recommended for cancer patients)
Ingredients needed for the salad
- 2/3 cup of pomegranate seeds (preferably organic)
- 2/3 cup of raw pecans (preferably organic)
- 2/3 cup of blackberries (preferably organic)
- 2/3 cup of cherry tomatoes (they can be sliced in halves or quarters, preferably organic)
- 2/3 avocado (chopped into pieces, preferably organic)
- 3 cups of spinach leaves (preferably organic)
Ingredients needed for the dressing:
- 2 teaspoons of vinegar (balsamic)
- 2 teaspoons of lime or lemon juice (preferably freshly squeezed)
- 2 tablespoons of avocado oil
- 2 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- Seasoning depending on the taste (salt and pepper)
Instructions for preparation
First add all the salad ingredients into a bigger salad bowl. Next, add all the ingredients for the dressing into a mason jar. You have to mix all of them. Shake the jar well until the mixture gets homogeneous. Finally, drizzle the salad with the dressing and give it a strong toss. Ensure that all of the ingredients are covered with the dressing evenly.